This article was last updated on 4/21/2023.
Cleaning your workplace water dispenser is essential, especially considering 87% of employees want healthier workspaces, per a wellness trend report from Fellowes Brands. Simply having a water cooler might not be enough to drive hydration if your dispenser is dirty and unappealing. Luckily, with the right procedures for upkeep in place, you can ensure a clean, great-tasting workplace water supply for employees, guests, and customers.
We’re taking a closer look into your water dispenser options and what proper maintenance and cleaning are involved in both.
Considering Your Water Cooler Options
First, it’s critical to determine the dispenser that will be the right fit for your business. Depending on the water dispenser you choose, it’s likely to change what cleaning and preventive maintenance will look like on your end.
Bottled Water Coolers
Bottled water coolers have remained the traditional method to provide water for your business. This typically involves recurring bottled water delivery of 3- to 5-gallon jugs, not to mention heavy lifting from your team members in the process. Bottled dispensers are a sufficient system for workplace drinking water, but they’re costly long-term, detrimental to the environment, and much harder to keep clean than alternative options.
Bottleless Water Dispensers
Bottleless water dispensers, on the other hand, are an advanced workplace water solution to consider. Instead of traditional bottled water delivery, these machines are connected directly to your water line. With advanced water filtration in place, your workforce and customers have access to an endless supply of delicious, clean water whenever they need it — no need for gas-guzzling delivery trucks or environmentally harmful plastic bottles or jugs. This water filter alternative both effectively reduces your ecological footprint and significantly simplifies your upkeep.
Cleaning and Preventive Maintenance To Keep In Mind
Follow these steps to keep your bottled or bottleless dispenser in optimum condition long-term.
Best Practices for Cleaning Your Bottled Water Cooler
When it comes to maintaining a clean water dispenser, it can be a bit more difficult working with bottled water options. Keep in mind you’ll need about 30 minutes to complete the cleaning process, and it’s recommended to be done every 3 to 6 months — which can vary depending on the size of your business and the use of your coolers.
- Step 1: It’s best to start with an empty water bottle. This makes the jug easier to handle and gives you the opportunity to enjoy a cup of fresh water once you’re done.
- Step 2: Before you begin, put aside all of the cleaning supplies you will need throughout the process. This might include rubber gloves, a sponge, a scrub brush, a microfiber cloth, and about a gallon of boiling hot water.
- Step 3: Next, begin to take the dispenser apart. Start by turning off the hot water and unplugging the dispenser from the wall outlet. Then remove the empty bottle, the no-spill adaptor (if applicable), the air filter from the no-spill adaptor, and the baffle from the water reservoir.
- Step 4: Fill the reservoir with the hot water you have handy and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Step 5: Use your sponge, clean cloth, or scrub brush to gently wipe the water reservoir, baffle, and no-spill adapter. It’s recommended to avoid dish soap, cleaning solutions (i.e., bleach or white vinegar), or other abrasive materials during this process.
- Step 6: Drain your water through the cold water spigot, but be cautious as the water may still be hot.
- Step 7: Use the remaining water to refill the reservoir and let it sit for another 5 minutes. While you wait, use your microfiber cloth to clean the outside of the dispenser along with the drip tray and spigots. After this, drain the water once again.
- Step 8: Now you can put all of the pieces back in their place and start fresh with a new water bottle.
In terms of maintenance, it will be up to your business to fix any issues you find along the way or replace your dispenser if need be. But, with bottleless water dispensers at your disposal, there’s abetter way.
Keeping Your Bottleless Water Dispenser in the Best Condition
The maintenance and cleaning process for your bottleless water cooler is generally much easier, mainly because you don’t have to do it alone. Working with a dependable machine and reliable vendor like Quench® means you can have access to expert service technicians that do the brunt of the hard work for you. Monthly rental fees for these machines cover annual preventive maintenance checks, which include cleanings and filter changes. The steps in their cleaning process include:
- Step 1: Gathering cleaning materials, such as a large container, non-abrasive disinfecting wipes, and a paper towel or cleaning rag.
- Step 2: Wiping the entire surface of the machine, paying special attention to the dispensing area, paddles, and touch screen (the faucet or spigot should be cleaned regularly for extra precaution).
With a bottleless water cooler and expert technicians by your side, you can significantly reduce the time and effort needed on your end to keep your machine in great condition.
The Importance of Proper Cleaning Practices
Adequate cleaning and maintenance practices are vital. A dirty water cooler is a home for bacteria and disease-causing germs — which is a detriment to the health of your employees and customers. According to the CDC, common bacteria in dirty water dispensers cause Legionnaires’ disease, which can eventually lead to pneumonia. As a result, you’re likely to see high levels of absenteeism, reduced energy, decreased morale, and low productivity in your workforce.
Improve Your Water Dispenser Cleaning and Maintenance With Quench
If you’re looking to elevate your drinking water supply while easing the cleaning and maintenance process, look no further than Quench. Explore a wide array of bottleless water coolers and rest assured you’re in good hands. These machines include self-sanitizing features like UV sanitization, as well as antimicrobial surface protection, so you can avoid the excess cleaning needs of a bottled cooler. Quench also provides scheduled service visits to ensure your machine is working properly year-round.
Ready to simplify cleaning and maintenance and elevate tap water systems with advanced water filtration? Try our product finder to determine the machine that’s just right for your business or get a free quote to get started!